Thursday, September 5, 2013

First Lost Tooth



My baby girl lost her first tooth last night. It had been hanging on for dear life for about two weeks now and I decided that it was time to go lol. I told her I wanted to see how loose it was and when I pulled on it, it just popped out. She was freaked out and super excited and couldn’t stop staring at her mouth in the mirror. She was even more excited about the tooth fairy. Me on the other hand….not so much. See I had absolutely no cash on me, not that the bank would make a difference because the funds are extremely low there too. This meant I had to get creative. I wanted her experience to be a good one, memorable because I don’t have many tooth fairy memories, if any at all.

We put her tooth in a zip lock bag and marked it for the tooth fairy. She placed it under her pillow and was fast asleep, then I got to work. I searched hi and low around the house for any change I could find. I managed to gather $1.25 (sorry kid, this tooth fairy doesn’t hand out $5 bills). I remembered that we had some left over jitter glitter from the first day of school, thanks to her awesome teacher. I also found a small candy bar and some pink gift wrap tissue paper. I cut the paper in a little square, put the money in the middle, sprinkled some glitter in there, wrapped it up and tied the candy bar around it with some curly ribbon. It actually ended up being a cute little pouch. After I placed it under her pillow I prayed that it would make her smile. I knew it wasn’t much, but I did the best I could with what I had. I swear sometimes as parents we go crazy trying to make things perfect for our kids.

I woke up super late this morning in a mad rush to get us ready and out the door. I woke her up and ran to the bathroom and I heard her yell mom!!! When she came into the bathroom she had the biggest smile on her face and held the little pink pouch in her hand. “The tooth fairy came mom, look it’s so awesome!” A wave of relief washed over me, I was so happy that she was happy and then I realized my daughter is so appreciative of everything that she has, even the little things. I was so worried that she would think it wasn’t enough, but I’ve raised her to be thankful for all that we get no matter how big or small and this morning her excitement over the small pink pouch with $1.25 and some glitter showed me that I’m doing a good job at it.

I dropped her off at school with the biggest smile on her face, I’m pretty sure she just wanted to show off her missing tooth J. I made it to work 30 minutes late, but her smile this morning was worth it all. I’ve been doing this on my own for six years now and while everyone has said that the early years are the hardest, I’ve been feeling like the hard parts are coming now. I’m doing my best to make sure that she knows that I’m here for her no matter what. I may not be the perfect mother, but I’m hoping that when she thinks back to days like these she knows that she is my world and everything I am doing is for her to be happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment